Okra and Fritters Curry - Bendakaya Bajji Kura
Recipe type: Curries
Various kinds of fritters are widely used in Andhra curries. In this particular curry, besan / gram flour is used for making fritters. Lady’s Finger / Okra is first cooked till soft and then the deep fried besan fritters are tossed in for texture and volume. Finished with freshly grated coconut, okra and fritters curry is quite famous as an item in restaurant thali.
- Lady’s Finger / Okra 15 – 20
- Besan / Gram Flour ½ Cup
- Green Chiles 2
- Red Chile Powder 1½ tsp
- Fresh / Frozen Grated Coconut 1 tbsp
- Soda bi carb a small pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 6
- Oil 1 tsp
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Wash, pat dry, remove ends and chop okra into inch sized pieces.
- Mix besan, half tsp of red chile powder, soda bi carb and salt into lump less smooth thick paste using enough water.
- Heat oil for deep frying on medium high heat.
- When oil gets hot, carefully drop the prepared besan batter with the help of a small slotted spoon.
- Alternatively, take batter into cupped fingers and slowly rub the fingers to drop small quantities of batter into hot oil.
- Fry the fritters till golden brown, remove from heat and break large chunks into small pieces if required.
- Repeat the same with any leftover besan batter.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order along with green chiles.
- When urad dal changes color, add chopped okra and salt.
- Cook covered for a minute or two until okra pieces turns just soft.
- Stir fry until the edges of okra turns light brown.
- Stir in deep fried fritters, red chile powder and grated coconut.
- Sprinkle a tbsp of water and fry for a minute or until all the water has gone.
- Serve okra and fritters curry over plain steamed rice.
Make sure to fry the fritters right. Suggestions: Fritters are hard – Use a small pinch soda bi carb to make them soft or mix the batter little thinner next time. Variations: Other vegetables can be used in the place of lady’s finger like tindora, plantain, etc…