palak corn curry recipe
Recipe type: Curries
palak corn – a mild and lightly spiced curry made with spinach and sweet corn.
- main ingredients:
- 1 bunch spinach/palak – yields approx 2 to 2.5 cups puree
- 2 cups boiled corn kernels or green peas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¼ or ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- ¼ cup cream (20% to 25% low fat), whisked till smooth – i used amul cream
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp oil or butter ( i used peanut oil )
- for masala paste:
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger/adrak, roughly chopped
- 3-4 small to medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped or broken cashews.
- ½ tbsp magaz or melon seeds. you can also use watermelon seeds.
- for garnish:
- ½ inch ginger, julienned
- preparing the masala paste:
- in a small grinder or blender, add all the ingredients for the masala paste.
- grind or blend to a smooth paste. add very little water if required while grinding.
- keep this masala paste aside.
- blanching the spinach and making puree:
- rinse the spinach very well in water. boil water with some salt. add the spinach to this boiled water.
- switch off the flame and let the spinach leaves be immersed in the water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- drain and quickly pour ice water over the spinach or immerse the spinach in ice cold or cold water. keep for 2-3 minutes.
- in a blender, make a semi-fine or smooth spinach puree adding very little water.
- keep aside.
- preparing the curry:
- first steam or boil the corn kernels and keep aside.
- heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan. fry the cumin first till they become aromatic and are browned.
- now add the ground masala paste and saute stirring often.
- add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and garam masala powder.
- keep on stirring the masala till the oil starts to leave the sides of the paste.
- after 1-2 minutes when the oil has begin to leave the masala paste and its color has changed, add the spinach puree and stir.
- pour water and season with salt. simmer the whole curry for 6-7 minutes on a low flame. add the boiled corn kernels and simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
- whip or beat the cream till smooth
- now add the cream and the kasuri methi. stir and cook further for ½ to 1 minute.
- garnish with ginger julienne and serve the corn palak hot with naan, rotis or jeera rice.