Panchmela Daal – Rajastani Cuisine
Recipe type: Curries
In the Indian state of Rajasthan, Panchmela Daal is traditionally served with Baati, bread balls made with whole wheat flour. This versatile daal recipe which is made by combining five types of lentils can also be enjoyed with chapati or rice. The wonderful flavors and textures of the various daals will make this panchmela daal recipe a family favorite.
- Toor Daal – 1 cup
- Mung Daal without Skin – ½ cup
- Mung Daal with Skin – ½ cup
- Chana Daal – ¼ cup
- Urad Daal – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 4 cups
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Ghee – ½ Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Dry Red Chili – 1
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 5, roughly crushed
- Black Peppercorns – 5, roughly crushed
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 large, pureed
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp
- Water – 3 to 4 cups
- Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste
- Cilantro (Coriander) – 10 sprigs, chopped for garnishing
- For Seasoning:
- Ghee – 1 to 2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Combine all Daals and wash thoroughly. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain soaking water and add soaked Daals to a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 tsp Salt, 4 cups Water and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Switch off stove and do not open cooker until internal pressure is gone.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp Oil and ½ Tbsp Ghee in a pan on medium heat.
- Add Bay leaf, Dry Red Chili, and Cumin Seeds. Allow Cumin Seeds to sizzle.
- Add Cloves, Black Peppercorns, Asafoetida and Turmeric Powder. Mix.
- Immediately add Onions and a little Salt. Mix well and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add Garlic, Ginger and Green Chilies and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pureed Tomatoes and cook until oil separates from the mixture.
- Add Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Cumin Powder and Red Chili Powder. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooked Daals and mix well.
- Add 3-4 cups of Water allow Daal to come to a boil.
- Garnish with Lime/Lemon Juice and Cilantro.
- For additional seasoning, heat 1 to 2 tsp of Ghee in a small skillet, just until warm
- Add Red Chili Powder, mix and add to top of prepared Daal.
- Serve hot with Bati, Rice or Chapati.