Rajasthani Style Kaddu ki Subzi ( Healthy Subzi)
Recipe type: Curries
An unusual combination of vegetables, pumpkin and potatoes cooked in low fat curds.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 bayleaf (tejpatta)
- 12 mm (1/2") piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 2 tbsp low fat curds
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 cups peeled red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu) cubes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in non-stick kadhai, add the bayleaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, nigella seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curds, asafoetida, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and turmeric powder and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on a slow flame for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes, pumpkin and ¼ cup of water, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the lid, add the lemon juice, sugar and salt, mix well and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot.