Simple Daal Fry Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
There can never be enough daal recipes to keep your dinner menu fresh and exciting. Try this Simple Daal Fry recipe for a satisfying and filling accompaniment to plain white rice or chapati. As they say…”variety is the spice of life”.
- Toor Daal – 1 cup, washed and drained
- Water – 3 cups
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chili – 1
- Curry Leaves – few
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Green Chilies – to taste, slit
- Onion – ½ medium, chopped small
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
- Garlic – 2 large cloves, minced
- Tomatoes – 2 medium, chopped
- Water – 1 cup (or as needed for desired consistency)
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – few sprigs, chopped to garnish
- In a pressure cooker, add Toor Daal, Water, Turmeric Powder and Oil. Cook on high for 1 whistle, turn off the stove and allow the pressure to go down on its own.
- Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat and add Mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop.
- Add Dry Red Chili, Curry leaves, Asafoetida, Green Chilies, Onions, Ginger and Garlic (in that order).
- Mix well and cook until the Onions are translucent (2-3 minutes)
- Add Tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked Daal, 1 cup Water, Salt and Red Chili Powder.
- Mix well, cover and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) and serve hot with rice or chapati.