Recipe type: Curries
Sindhi Kadhi is a dish that is fully rounded and has so many levels of flavor. The hints of sweet and tangy combined with the spiciness and the beautifully colored vegetables is a feast to the eyes and to the hungry stomach. Change out the vegetables, eliminate some you don’t like or add on the ones you love – it’s a very forgiving dish. Enjoy this Sindhi Kadhi with some plain white Basmati Rice and you’ll need little else to satisfy the soul.
- Water – 5.5 Cups + .5 Cups
- Besan/Chick Pea Flour – ⅓ Cup
- Drumsticks – 1 Cup, cut to 1″ length
- Carrots – 2 med. peeled, washed and cut
- Cauliflower – 2 big florets, cut to bite-size
- Green Beans – 10, cut to ½″ pieces
- Potato – 1 medium, cubed
- Green Chillies – 4 or to taste, slit
- Small Eggplants – 3, cubed
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Methi / Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Jaggery – 2 tbsp or to taste
- Tamarind – 2 tbsp or to taste
- Cilantro – for garnish
- In pressure cooker, combine the Chickpea Flour and the 5.5 cups of Water and remove all lumps.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and allow the pressure to release by itself.
- In a small saucepan, combine the ½ cup Water and the Drumsticks and allow them to come to a boil.
- Once the Water and the Drumsticks have come to a boil, low heat to a simmer and cook till ready to use.
- In a big open pan, heat Oil on medium heat and add in the Fenugreek Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add in Turmeric and Red Chilli Powder and immediately after that all the Vegetables (Potatoes, Green Chilies, Carrots, Cauliflower, Beans & Eggplant)
- Turn the flame up to a high, mix and coat all the Vegetable with the Oil.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or till the Vegetables get a slight golden brown and lower the heat to a medium.
- Add in the Chickpea Flour and Water, add the Drumsticks and the water, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the Salt, Jaggery and Tamarind Paste and mix.
- Increase heat and allow the Kadhi to reduce and thicken up to a thin custard consistency.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve with Rice.