Spicy Tomato Dal
Recipe type: Curries
Toor dal is pressure cooked along with diced tomatoes till soft. For heat, ginger and garlic is fried in tempered oil along with onion. Finally cooked dal is added to the tempering along with tamarind extract. Tomato dal is boiled for couple of minutes and can be served with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Tomato 2
- Onion 1 Small
- Toor Dal 1 Cup
- Garlic 2 Cloves
- Ginger 1 inch Piece
- Green Chiles 4
- Tamarind 2 inch Sized Piece
- Turmeric Powder a big pinch
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- for Talimpu:
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 4
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Wash toor dal under fresh water to remove any dirt.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes into small cubes.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Peel and lightly mash the garlic cloves.
- Peel, wash and mash the ginger.
- Soak tamarind in half a cup of warm water and extract all the juice discarding any veins.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- Place toor dal, chopped tomatoes and a green chile in the same vessel.
- Pressure cook the toor dal and tomatoes in 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in a sauce pot, add all talimpu ingredients in order along with garlic cloves.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add mashes ginger, garlic, remaining green chiles and chopped onion.
- Fry till sides of the onion starts to change color.
- Then stir in cooked toor dal and cooked tomatoes, tamarind extract, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook on low flame for around 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and spicy tomato dal with steamed rice and crispy papad
Make sure to cook the dal right. Suggestions: If the dal is not cooked well, put it back on heat and cook covered on low flame till done. If the dal becomes mushy, don’t overcook next time.