Whole Green Mung Daal
Recipe type: Curries
Have you ever been in the mood for something wholesome and hearty? Try this delicious Moong Dal recipe made with whole green mung beans. There’s not a lot of spices or fuss involved with this protein packed bowl of goodness. Enjoy this Mung Daal with rice, chapati or just by itself as a soup — absolutely comforting!
- Whole Mung – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ⅛tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Garlic Cloves – 4 large, roughly crushed
- Ginger – ½ tbsp, grated
- Curry Leaves – few leaves
- Green Chillies – to taste, slit
- Tomato – 1, med chopped
- Cilantro – to taste
- Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
- Wash and soak Whole Green Mung beans for about 4 hours.
- Drain the water out and rinse the beans.
- Add Mung, 3 cups Water and Salt to a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove allowing pressure to go down by itself.
- In a medium pot, heat Oil.
- Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
- Add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Cook for 30 secs.
- Add Tomatoes and cook for 1 minute to soften them.
- Add cooked Mung to the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Adjust salt and add Lime Juice.
- Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves).