Mag na Dhokla
Recipe type: Breakfast
Moong dal or 'mag na' dhoklas are a favourite breakfast recipe of gujaratis. Not only are these dhoklas very simple to prepare, they can also be made well in advance. To enhance its flavour and nutritive value, add some grated carrots or ground peas to the batter. Serve with low calorie green chutney.
- 1½ cups moong (whole green gram)
- 2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1 cup low fat curds (dahi)
- 1½ tsp fruit salt
- salt to taste
- For The Garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Soak the moong for 4 hours. Drain and grind to a coarse paste.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, cumin seed powder, curds and salt and mix well.
- Grease a 200 mm. (8") diameter thali and keep aside.
- Divide the batter into 2 parts.
- Add ¾ teaspoon of fruit salt to half of the batter. Mix well, pour into the greased thali and steam immediately for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Repeat stap 5 for the remaining half of the batter.
- Cool slightly and cut into diamond shaped pieces.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.
Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break the lumps.