Recipe type: Dessert
piyush recipe - thick, creamy sweet beverage made with shrikhand, yogurt and milk. summer cooling drink.
- 200 gms shrikhand - about 1 cup, cardamom, saffron or cardamom-saffron flavored shrikhand
- 1.5 cups yogurt/curd
- ¾ to 1 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugar or as required
- 2-3 green cardamom, powdered in a mortar-pestle to a fine powder
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder
- 6 to 7 pistachios, sliced
- 1 to 2 pinches of saffron
- first take the shrikhand, yogurt, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder in a mixing bowl.
- with a hand held blender or a wired whisk or a madani (traditional hand held indian churner), just blend everything well till smooth and creamy. you can also blend in a jar in an electric blender. keep the piyush in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours for it to get chilled.
- a suggestion is to add 2 tbsp sugar first. if the sweetness is less, then you can add 1 tbsp sugar later.
- pour the chilled piyush in glasses, and top with pistachio or almond slices and saffron.
- serve piyush immediately. you can also keep the piyush for a day in the refrigerator.