khatta meetha kaddu – sweet sour pumpkin | navratri recipes
Recipe type: Festival Special
khatta meetha pumpkin – mildly spiced sweet and sour pumpkin dry curry
- 2 cups pumpkin/kaddu or petha
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- ¼ tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper/kali mirch powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur or as required ( i add ½ tsp as i am using a really strong organic amchur powder. add as required depending on the quality of the amchur powder)
- 1 tbsp peanut oil/mungphali ka tel
- 1 to 2 tsp sugar or as required
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- rinse, peel and chop the pumpkin.
- heat oil in a pan.
- crackle the cumin seeds first.
- add the pumpkin, sugar and salt.
- stir and cover the pan and simmer the pumpkin pieces till they are softened.
- there is no need to add water as the pumpkin will get cooked by its own juices.
- in case the water dries up, then add about 2-3 tbsp water and cook the pumpkin.
- keep on checking at intervals and if the water continues to dry, then add a few tbsp water again.
- the pumpkin should not get mushy.
- add the mango powder and simmer for a minute.
- lastly season with roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve the khatta meetha kaddu with kuttu ki roti, amaranth pooris or singhare ki poori.
if adding tamarind pulp, then just 1 to 2 tsp or as required. once the pumpkin has cooked, add the tamarind pulp and simmer for a few minutes till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away. the tamarind also has to be cooked.