Baked Potatoes ( Cooking with Kids)
Recipe type: kids
Baked potatoes is a universal favourite with kids all over the world. There are many versions too, ranging from plain salted baked potatoes to creamy and cheesy ones, not to forget ones with baked beans! here is a version with peas and corn. You can try other variants too, as per your liking.
- 4large baking potatoes (8 to 10 oz each)
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 1small head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- ⅓cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1cup low-fat sour cream
- 1cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- ¼cup Betty Crocker® Bac~Os® bacon flavor bits or chips
- Heat oven to 400°F. Gently scrub potatoes, but do not peel. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork to allow steam to escape while potatoes bake.
- Brush lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender when pierced in center with a fork. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, place cauliflower in microwave safe bowl, and microwave, 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Cut each potato lengthwise in half; scoop out potatoes leaving a thin shell. Place insides from 2 potatoes in bowl of food processor or blender. Place remaining 2 potato insides aside for another use (tomorrow’s dinner!) Mix in cauliflower melted butter, milk, sour cream and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in ½ cup of the shredded cheese and black pepper to taste. Spoon filling back into the potato skins and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Place filled potatoes in greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is hot.
- Sprinkle green onions and bacon bits over the top and serve.