Cabbage Vadas ( Tiffin Treats for Kids )
Recipe type: kids
Cabbage vadas, rich in nutrients, these are inspired from south indian cuisine are loaded with cabbage, onions, and peas. Flavoured with fresh coriander and chillies, they taste great with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- ½ cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 slit green chilli , roughly chopped
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- ¾ cup finely chopped cabbage
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp boiled green peas
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for at least 1 hour.
- Drain, add the chillies, asafoetida and ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Add the cabbage, onions, peas, coriander and salt and mix well.
- Wet your fingers, take some batter and make a hole in the centre using your thumb.
- Slide the vada gently into the hot oil and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 11 more vadas. Drain on absorbent paper.
To avoid the vadas from disintegrating, combine the ingredients just before deep-frying and ensure that the oil is hot enough.