Russian Salad Bread Cups
Recipe type: kids
These nutritious little cups of bread hold a medley of colourful vegetables and fruits.
- For the toast cases
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 tsp butter
- For the Russian salad filling (makes approx. 1½ cups)
- ¼ cup peeled, boiled and chopped potatoes
- ¼ cup boiled green peas
- 2 tbsp peeled, chopped and boiled carrots
- 2 tbsp boiled french beans
- 2 tbsp peeled and chopped pineapple
- 2 tbsp chopped apples
- 2 tbsp chopped lettuce
- 2 tbsp Eggless Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
- For the toast cases:
- Slice off the crust from the bread slices.
- Wrap the bread slices in a muslin cloth and steam in a pressure cooker for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Flatten the bread slices and press each bread slice into the cavities of a muffin tray greased with butter.
- Brush some melted butter over them and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 10 minutes or until crisp. Demould and keep aside.
- For the Russian salad filling:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Divide into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Fill a portion of the mixture in each toast case. Serve immediately.
Muffin trays are used for making cup cakes, muffins etc. They are available at any shop which sells cake moulds.