Bean and Pasta Soup
Recipe type: soups
A dish with proud mediterranean origins, this soup is a winter warmer to be served with warm crusty bread and if you like, a slice of cheese. The addition of cream to the soup balances the acidic taste of the tomatoes.
- ½ cup baked beans
- ½ cup cooked pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced garlic (lehsun)
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in ¼ cup of water
- For The Garnish
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- 4 tbsp grated processed cheese
- Heat the butter in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a high flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the baked beans and tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the oregano and cook on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add 2½ cups of hot water, tomato purée and salt, mix well and cook on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the pasta and cornflour-water mixture, mix well and cook on a high flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh cream and grated cheese.