Creamy Mushroom Soup
Recipe type: Appetiser
Soups always warm your hearts and your tummy and is the ultimate comfort food. Make this hearty Mushroom Soup as a full meal along with some Garlic Bread or as a side to meal, either way, it’s bound to steal the show. Don’t like Mushrooms? No Problem, change out the Mushrooms for Broccoli, Asparagus or Brussels Sprouts and everyone’s happy.
- Mushrooms – 1 lb, sliced (button and baby bellas)
- Shallots – 2, sliced
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Salt – ½ tsp or to taste
- Clove Powder – ¼ tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 to 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
- All-Purpose Flour (Maida) – 3 Tbsp
- Vegetable or Chicken Stock – 7 cups
- All-Purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 Tbsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Red Chili Flakes – to taste (optional)
- Half and Half/Milk – to taste
- Black Pepper – to taste
- In a wide skillet, melt Butter.
- Add Shallots and allow them to lightly brown.
- Add Mushrooms and saute them until moisture evaporates.
- Add Garlic, Salt, Clove Powder and Italian Seasoning. Saute until Mushrooms lightly caramelize.
- Turn off stove, add Lemon Juice and mix through. Remove Mushrooms into a separate bowl or plate.
- In the same pan, heat Olive Oil on low heat.
- Add All-Purpose Flour and keep mixing until flour changes color to light pink.
- Slowly add Broth and keep whisking to ensure that lumps do not form. In case lumps form, you can use an immersion blender to break them down.
- Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp of All-Purpose Flour with ¼ Cold Water (make sure there are no lumps).
- Slowly add the mixture into the broth while continuously mixing. Bring to a boil.
- Add sauteed Mushrooms back into the broth and add Crushed Red Chili Flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Add Half and Half to achieve desired richness.
- Adjust salt, lemon juice and add Black Pepper to taste.