Green Pea and Corn Soup
Recipe type: soups
Corn is a staple cereal used in Mexican cuisine. Green peas are used to thicken this soup and to add a substantial amount of fibre too. Coriander and garlic lend delicate aromatic flavours that complement the corn and peas making this soup difficult to resist. This delicious broth makes a wholesome and heart-warming meal if served with whole wheat bread.
- 2 cups fresh green peas
- 1 cup sweet corn (makai ke dane)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic (lehsun), crushed
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For serving
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- 1 tsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp chopped mint leaves (phudina)
- Combine the peas, corn, onion, garlic, salt and 4 cups of water and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. cool and blend in a mixer to get a smooth purée.
- Just before serving, add the milk, coriander, mint and salt and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot.