Spicy Barley Soup
Recipe type: soups
An evergreen favourite world over, this soup makes use of paneer made from low fat milk that reduces the calorie-count whereas barley, the key ingredient, perks up its fibre content. Ginger, garlic and mint add their unique flavour and add zing and spice to this soup.
- 2 tbsp pearl barley, soaked for 3 to 4 hours
- 1 large sized clove of garlic (lehsun), chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves (phudina)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped cabbage
- 2 tbsp chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp chopped capsicum
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped low fat paneer( cottage cheese)
- 1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
- Drain the soaked barley and cook in a vesselful of water. Drain again and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan / kadhai, add the garlic, ginger, mint leaves and onions and dry roast them for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, capsicum and coriander and mix well.
- Add 4½ cups of water and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Add the paneer, tomatoes, barley, salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to boil.
- Serve hot.