Spicy sweet potato soup with chilli coriander cream
Recipe type: soups
Sweetness loves spice, so the secret in this warming vege soup is a spoonful of Thai curry paste.
- 1 tsp Massel salt-Reduced Chicken stock powder
- 1L (4 cups) boiling water
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs red curry paste
- 2 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
- 750g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 90g (1/3 cup) extra light sour cream
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
- Combine stock powder and water in a jug. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in curry paste for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato and stock mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Blend the soup until smooth. Heat over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Season.
- Combine the sour cream, chilli and coriander in a bowl. Serve with the soup.
Why sweet potato? Good source of dietary fibre. Provide several carotenoids, which act as antioxidants. High in vitamins including C, E and beta carotene.