Vegetable and Basil Soup ( Healthy Diabetic Recipe )
Recipe type: soups
Brimful with the goodness of vegetables, this soup has the added value of basil’s flavour and medicinal value too. Garnish this pasta-based soup with cheese and parsley, and immerse yourself in its unique flavour. Remember to add thinned spaghetti as it tastes better and cooks faster. Also note that the vegetable stock can be prepared in bulk and stored in refrigerator, to be used later to whip up soups, gravies etc instantly – you can use veggies of your choice for the stock. With only 89 calories per serving, this is a delight for the weight-watcher too!
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 tsp finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup spaghetti , broken into 1" pieces
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup finely chopped potatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped cabbage
- salt and freshly ground black pepper powder to taste
- For The Garnish
- 4 tsp grated cooking cheese
- Blend the basil leaves with ¼ cup of water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions, french beans, carrots and celery and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spaghetti and vegetable stock, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage, mix well and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Add the basil paste, salt and pepper and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with cheese and parsley.