Baked Corn Chips
Recipe type: Snacks
A combination of Mexican and Indian cuisines.
- 2¼ cups crushed corn chips
- 3 onions
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 recipe Hot Sauce
- 4 tbsp grated cooking cheese
- salt to taste
- For the corn chips
- 1½ cups maize flour (makai ka atta)
- ¾ cup plain flour (maida)
- 3 tsp oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- oil for deep-frying
- Cut the onions into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a vessel and fry the onions for at least 3 minutes.
- Add the dhana-jeera powder, chilli powder and salt.
- Cover and cook until the onions are tender.
- Spread the onions at the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Dip the corn chips in hot water for a few seconds and drain. Spread these chips over the onions.
- Pour the hot sauce, sprinkle the cheese and bake in hot oven at 450°F for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- For the corn chips:
- Mix the flours. Add the oil and salt and make a soft dough by adding water.
- Roll out thin rounds about 100 mm. (4") in diameter with the help of plain flour. Prick lightly with a fork.
- Deep fry in hot oil on both sides.
- Crush into chips.