Recipe type: Snacks
Chakkara Pongal is a characteristic preparation of the Harvest festival, this sweet dish makes for an anytime eat.Chakkara Pongal is a traditional sweet made usually on Pongal
- Please use same measuring cup for rice, moong dal, jaggery, water and milk. Color of the chakkara pongal may varies from color of the jaggery ( yellow, dark yellow and brown ).
- ¾ cup ( 175 g ) silky raw rice ( pacha arisi Rs 36 - 38 / kg )
- ¼ cup ( 50 g ) moong dal
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups boiled milk
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup + 1 - 2 tablespoon ( 200 g melted and sieved jaggery, or to taste )
- ¼ teaspoon ( 3 pinches ) cardamom powder
- Extra 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 teaspoons cashew nuts, split
- 2 teaspoon raisins
- Wash and clean rice and moong dal ( do not soak in water ).
- In a pressure cooker, mix rice, moong dal, water and milk and cook for 10 minutes ( reduce heat to medium after 2 nd whistle and cook for 5 minutes ). Switch off the heat. Allow the cooker to cool naturally ( Rice - moong dal mixture will be thick in consistency ).
- Open the cooker and heat again. Add 2 tablespoon ghee and melted and sieved jaggery. Mix all the ingredients well. Cover with a lid and cook again for 10 minutes ( stir occasionally ) on a low heat until done / fragrant / rice - moong dal mixture well blended with jaggery ( see the photo below ). Sprinkle cardamom powder and mix well.
- In a frying pan, heat ghee. Shallow fry raisins and cashew nuts separately till golden color on low heat. Do not fry on high heat.
- Add shallow fried raisins and cashew nuts. Mix well.
- Serve chakkara pongal warm or cool.