Little gingerbread cakes
Recipe type: sweets
Whip up an easy dessert with our Little gingerbread cakes.
- 125g butter, chopped
- ⅔ cup golden syrup
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⅔ cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Lemon zest, to serve
- Lemon icing
- 2 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease an 8-hole, ¾ cup-capacity mini loaf pan.
- Place butter, golden syrup, sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until butter has melted and sugar dissolved (do not boil). Remove from heat. Add bicarbonate of soda. Stir to combine. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add egg. Whisk to combine. Add flour, ginger and mixed spice. Whisk until smooth. Spoon mixture into pan holes until half-full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make icing Place icing sugar, lemon juice and boiling water in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Spoon over cakes. Stand for 5 minutes or until icing starts to set. Top with zest. Set aside until set. Serve.