Veg Corn Bake
Recipe type: Snacks
Suggested serving size for 100 calories: 4 pieces this baked and colourful, multipurpose dish is versatile enough to be a snack or starter or even a complete meal. The nutritious answer to all your dieting woes.
- 1 cup besan (Bengal gram flour)
- ¼ cup crushed sweet corn kernels
- ¼ cup grated cabbage
- ¼ cup shredded spinach (palak)
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp fruit salt
- 1¼ tsp oil for tempering and greasing
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- For The Garnish
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the besan, corn, cabbage, spinach, carrots, ginger-green chilli paste, salt, sugar, coriander and ¼ cup of water together in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the fruit salt and sprinkle some water over it. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter into a greased 150 mm (6”) diameter oven-proof baking dish and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 c (360 f) for 20 to 25 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat ¼ tsp of oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a second.
- Remove from the flame, add 2 tbsp of water and pour the mixture over the vegetable corn bake.
- When cool, cut into 16 equal portions.
- Serve immediately garnished with the coriander.