Aloo Bhindi Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Aloo Bhindi - A lightly spiced dry curry made with okra and potatoes.
- 200-250 gms bhindi/okra
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic + ½ inch ginger - crushed into a paste in a mortar-pestle
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala powder (add as required)
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder (add as required)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- ¼ to ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur (add as required)
- ¼ tsp dry fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi, crushed (optional)
- 3 to 4 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- rinse and dry the bhindi/okra with a kitchen towel. you can also let them dry naturally. cut the bhindi into 1 inch pieces.
- peel and cube the aloo/potatoes. make smaller pieces as they will be quick to fry.
- heat oil in a kadai or pan.
- first add the aloos and fry them till they become opaque, change color and become crisp and are cooked completely. remove and drain on paper towels.
- in the same oil, add the chopped okra/bhindi and fry till the all the bhindi pieces are cooked completely. drain the fried bhindi on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- in the same oil, add the onions and saute till translucent or light brown.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- now add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- add all the spice powders except garam masala and dry mango powder and saute and the oil starts to leaves the sides of the mixture.
- add the fried aloos/potatoes and bhindi/okra.
- stir gently till the whole masala mixture coats both the aloo and bhindi.
- stir and saute for 1-2 minutes. add the garam masala powder and dry mango powder. stir and saute for a minute.
- lastly add the crushed kasuri methi and saute aloo bhindi sabzi for a minute more.
- serve the aloo bhindi garnished with coriander leaves along with rotis, phulkas or naan accompanied with plain yogurt or a plain raita.