Bharwa Lauki ( Healthy Subzis)
Recipe type: Curries
Forget the bland taste of lauki now. . . Stuff it with a low fat paneer mixture and cook in a spicy tomato gravy for a pleasant surprise!
- For The Lauki
- peeled ash gourd
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- To Be Mixed Into A Filling
- ½ cup grated low fat paneer (cottage cheese)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp ginger green-chilli paste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- ½ tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- ½ tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mixed dry fruits
- 1 tsp cornflour
- salt to taste
- For The Gravy
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 small stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cloves (laung / lavang)
- For the lauki:
- Combine the white pumpkin, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cut the white pumpkin horizontally into 2 equal portions.
- Scoop out the inside pulp, discard it and keep the white pumpkin shell aside.
- Stuff both the scooped out white pumpkin shells with the prepared filling and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and shallow-fry both the stuffed pumpkins till brown spots appear on both the sides. Remove and keep aside.
- For the gravy:
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato purée, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala, sugar and salt and cook stirring continuously till the mixture leaves oil from the sides.
- Add ¼ cup of water and bring to boil. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- To serve, cut the stuffed white pumpkins into 25 mm. (1") thick slices and place them on a serving dish.
- Pour the hot gravy over the stuffed white pumpkin slices.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.