Chana masala with tomato and coriander salad
Recipe type: Curries
A tomato salad adds freshness to the rich flavour of this Indian vegetable and chickpea curry.
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 283g can Patak’s Tikka Masala
- Curry Sauce
- 2 sweet potatoes (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 tsp tamarind puree
- 80g (1/2 cup) frozen peas
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 chapati breads
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic and brown onion, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until golden. Stir in the curry paste. Add the sweet potato, carrot, chickpeas, coconut cream, water and tamarind puree. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is just tender. Season with salt. Stir in the peas. Simmer for 2 minutes or until the peas are just tender.
- Combine tomato, red onion, coriander and lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt.
- Brush the chapati on each side with a little melted butter. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Cook 1 chapati for 1 minute each side or until just browned. Repeat with the remaining chapati. Serve with chana masala.