Chawli Bhaji ( Healthy Subzi Recipe)
Recipe type: Curries
This not-so-commonly used leafy vegetable is a storehouse of vitamin c and iron.
- 4 cups chopped chawli (cow pea) leaves
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp soaked urad dal (spit black gram)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Combine the amaranth leaves, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup water and cook on a medium flame, till the water dries out.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, red chillies, urad dal and asafoetida and saute on a slow flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared amaranth paste and salt and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Serve hot.