Colocasia Leaf Usli
Recipe type: Curries
Think beyond patra? try this recipe as this leaf is a great way to leave iron deficiency behind!
- For The Dal Mixture
- 1 cup toovar (arhar) dal
- 3 whole red chillies
- 3 green chillies
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Other Ingredients
- 1 cup chopped colocassia leaves (arbi ke patte)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils) , soaked
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1½ tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the dal mixture
- Soak the toovar dal in water for approx. 1 hour. Drain and discard the water and along with all the other ingredients, grind the dal to a rough paste in a blender. Keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Mix together the dal mixture and the colocasia leaves, add turmeric powder, 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles, or till the dal is cooked.
- In another pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the soaked urad dal and curry leaves and cook till the dal turns golden brown in colour.
- Add the cooked colocasia mixture,salt and dry mango powder and cook till the usli is semi-dry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.