Dal with eggplant
Recipe type: Curries
- Turmeric Powder 1 Teaspoons
- Chopped Coriander Leaves To Taste
- Coriander Seeds 2 Teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds 1 Teaspoons
- Dry/desiccated Shredded Coconut 2 Tablespoons
- Tamarind Paste 2 Numbers
- Curry Leaves 8 Numbers
- Green Chilies 4 Numbers
- Eggplant To Taste
- Toor Dal 1 Cup
- Asafoetida ½ Teaspoons
- Salt And Jaggary/sugar To Taste
- Oil 1 Tablespoons
- Wash dal twice. Add ½ tsp turmeric powder, asafoetida, ½ tsp oil and water to the dal. Pressure cook it until soft and mushy.
- Mash dal and keep aside.
- Chop the eggplant into small cubes and rub some salt to the pieces. Soak them in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a pan. Add coriander seeds, coconut and toast them over medium heat until light brown. Lastly add cumin seeds and just toss once (since cumin seeds turn brown quicker than coconut, they should be added later). Remove and grind into a fine paste.
- Chop chilies and coriander leaves.
- Again, heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, let the mustard seeds sizzle. Add asafoetida, ½ tsp turmeric powder and curry leaves and chopped chilies. Add eggplant pieces and fry until half done. Add dal and water for desired thickness. Let it boil over hight heat.
- Once bubbles float on top, turn the heat to medium. Add ground coconut masala, tamarind paste or kokum and stir well. Add salt and jaggary or sugar. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Top with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.