Green peas usal or matar usal recipe
Recipe type: Curries
green peas usal - a semi dry curry from the maharashtrian cuisine made with fresh peas, coconut and spices. mild sweet tones and lightly spiced.
- main ingredients:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas (vatana or matar)
- ½ tsp powdered jaggery or sugar - add as required
- 2 tsp goda masala/black masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- water as required
- salt as required
- for tempering:
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ¼ to ⅓ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- two pinches of asafoetida/hing
- for ground paste:
- 3 tbsp grated coconut, fresh/frozen
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 3 tbsp water for grinding
- heat oil. crackle the mustard seeds first.
- add turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir.
- add the peas. cover the pan and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame.
- check in between. sprinkle some water if required and if the mixture looks dry.
- whilst the green peas are simmering, grind coconut, green chilies,
- coriander leaves, ginger, cumin seeds with 3 tbsp water to a smooth paste.
- after 6 to 7 minutes, remove the lid and add the ground coconut paste.
- season with salt and jaggery or sugar.
- stir and then add ¾ to 1 cup water.
- cover and let the peas cook.
- i needed to add 2 cups water as the peas which i had, took a long time to cook.
- if the peas are tender, you may not require to add any water or little water.
- simmer till the peas are cooked well and softened.
- the curry is semi dry. so if there is lots of gravy, then simmer till most of
- the moisture is evaporated.
- lastly add the goda masala and stir well.
- while serving sprinkle some lemon juice or serve with lemon wedges.
- you can also add about 1 tsp lemon juice directly to the usal.
- the lemon juice is optional, but a little tang tastes good in the usal.
- garnish with coriander leaves and some grated coconut.
- serve green peas usal with chapatis or phulkas or pav/bread rolls.
the usal is semi dry. but if you want you can keep some gravy in the usal.