Cabbage upkari recipe
Recipe type: Curries
cabbage upkari - cabbage steamed with coconut and chana dal
- 2 small cabbage or 1 large cabbage
- ¾ cup chana dal/split & skinned bengal gram
- ¾ cup fresh grated coconut or dessicated coconut
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1-2 sprig curry leaves
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp oil
- a pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- ½ cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves for garnish
- salt to taste
- soak the chana dal in water for 1 hour.
- heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds and fry the cumin seeds.
- add the onions and saute them till they become transparent.
- now add the garlic and curry leaves and fry for a minute or two.
- add the cabbage, chana dal, green chilies.
- add the spice powders and salt.
- mix everything and cover and cook the cabbage.
- after 10-15 minutes, when the cabbage is half cooked, add the grated coconut.
- cover and cook for some more 15-20 minutes till the chana dal is cooked.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve cabbage upkari hot with chapatis, dal and rice.