Manglorean Drumstick Curry
Recipe type: Curries
A sweet and spicy drumstick and potato curry made the South Indian way i.e. flavoured with coconut and whole spices. This curry has a predominant garlic flavour and tastes great with steamed rice.
- 4 drumsticks (saijan ki phalli / saragavo), cut into 75 mm. (3") pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta), torn into pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- To be ground into a smooth paste
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 whole dry kashmiri red chillies, broken
- 2 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds
- 5 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
- 2 tsp tamarind (imli)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ cup water
- Cook the drumsticks and potatoes in 3 cups of water in which jaggery and salt have been added. Keep aside, retaining the water.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the urad dal and mustard seeds and sauté. When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and stir once.
- Add the cooked drumsticks and potatoes along with 1 cup of the water in which they were cooked, the ground paste and salt (if required) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot.