Recipe type: Curries
Muga Gathi or Mugachya Gathi is a traditional dish of Goa, is a coconut curry dish made with Moong sprouted lentils and is part of the menu i n Konkan weddings.
- Kokum 2-3 Piece
- Coconut Paste 2 Tablespoons
- Garam Masala Powder Pinch
- Red Chilli Powder Pinch
- Turmeric Powder ¼ Teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds ½ Teaspoons
- Mustard Seeds ½ Teaspoons
- Green Chillies 2 Numbers
- Ginger, Chopped 1 Tablespoons
- Coconut, Thin Slices 2 Tablespoons
- Whole Green Moong (Sprouted & Boiled) 1 Cup
- Curry Leaves 1 Springs
- Hing (asafoetida) Pinch
- Salt To Taste
- Sugar Pinch
- Oil 2 Tablespoons
- Soak Mung Beans for 5 - 6 hours. Drain the water and keep it covered overnight in a muslin cloth to sprout.
- Next day boil the moong dal and keep aside Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a kadhai and when the oil is hot enough,
- add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and chopped ginger and sauté well.
- Add pinch of hing, pieces of coconut and turmeric powder. Slightly cook the coconut pieces and add a pinch of chilli powder and garam masala.
- To this add around 2 tbsp of coconut paste and sauté well stirring for around 30 seconds and then add little water, salt and little sugar. After you bring this to a boil.
- add sprouted and boiled moong, 2-3 pieces of soaked kokum and simmer and cook for a minute and switch off the flame.
- The dish is ready to be served.