Recipe type: Curries
Low fat paneer cubes in an aromatic, spicy gravy with sautéed onions, this vegetable is sure to be the talk of your meal. Ensure that the paneer has maintained its softness, though. To master the art of making low fat paneer in your own kitchen. This subzi makes a perfect combination with Oat and Spring Onion Paratha.
- 1 cup low fat paneer (cottage cheese) cubes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds, roasted and crushed
- 3 whole red chillies, coarsely ground
- ½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1½ tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1½ cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup low fat milk
- ¼ tsp cornflour
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, ground chillies, dried fenugreek leaves and onions and sauté till the onions turn light brown in colour.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of water and cook till the oil separates from the masala.
- Cool the masala mixture and purée to a smooth paste and transfer into a non-stick pan.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the milk and add it to the prepared gravy and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the paneer, garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with the chopped coriander.