Punjabi Tinda Gravy Curry
Recipe type: Curries
Fresh wet masala is made with roasted spices and onion. Punjabi tinda are chopped up and cooked with freshly ground masala till very soft. Finally whisked yogurt is stirred in to get the creamy consistency. Serve punjabi tinda gravy curry with steamed rice or roti etc.
- Punjabi Tinda 2
- Onion 1
- Tomato 1
- Yogurt 1 Tbsp
- Red Chile Powder ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
- Green Chiles 1
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ½ tsp
- Urad Dal ½ tsp
- Whole Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Coriander Seeds ½ Tbsp
- Oil 1 tsp
- For Talimpu:
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 1 tsp
- Wash, remove ends and chop the punjabi tinda.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Whisk the yogurt and keep aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add all masala ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering and the mixture is aromatic, add diced onion and salt.
- Fry till onion turns golden brown and remove from heat.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature and grind it into smooth paste with little water.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add chopped punjabi tinda, green chile, tomato, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame for around 5 minutes for tinda to soften.
- Stir in ground masala paste and quarter cup water.
- Cook covered again on low flame for good 10 -15 minutes or until tinda is soft and kind of transparent.
- Uncover, stir in red chile powder, whisked yogurt and season with salt if necessary.
- Remove from heat and serve punjabi tinda gravy curry with steamed rice or roti etc.
Make sure Punjabi tinda are cooked well before removing from heat. Suggestions: Make sure to add few splashes of water if required while cooking tinda.