Moong Dal Dosa Curry - Pesarattu Koora
Recipe type: Curries
Moong dal is soaked and ground into batter. The batter is poured onto hot pan as thick dosa and cooked till soft. The dosa is then teared up and cooked in tomato masala sauce. Serve moong dal dosa curry with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
- Split Moong / Green Gram ½ Cup
- Onion 1 Small
- Tomato 2 Large
- Ginger Garlic Paste ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ½ tsp
- Green Chiles 2
- Garam Masala ½ tsp
- Red Chile Powder ¼ tsp
- Cilantro few sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil as required
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wash and finely chop the tomato.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chiles.
- Clean, wash and finely chop cilantro.
- Soak split moong in water for 1½ – 2 hours.
- Strain the soaked moong dal and grind it into smooth paste with sufficient water.
- Add sufficient salt to the thick batter.
- Heat a flat pan on medium high heat, apply a tsp of oil with back of a spoon.
- When pan gets hot, pour a ladle full of moong dal batter and don’t spread.
- Cook covered on low flame till bottom turns golden brown.
- Turn on other side and cook till done.
- Cool to room temperature and either chop or tear the moong dal dosa into big pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start to brown, add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and green chiles.
- Fry for a minute or two, stir in chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes soften and become mushy.
- Then add garam masala powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Cook briefly and remove from heat.
- Let the tomato mixture cools down a little, stir in chopped moong dal dosa.
- Mix and let it stand for couple of minutes.
- Serve moong dal dosa curry with steamed rice and dollop of ghee.
Make sure not to add the dosa when gravy is extremely hot. Suggestions: If dosa is not cooked properly, put it back on low heat and cook till done.