Vegetable & chickpea potato pies
Recipe type: Curries
Use a hearty vegetable and chickpea stew as the base for these golden pies topped with potatoes and parmesan.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 3cm pieces
- 300g cup mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, pale section only, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground chilli
- 1 x 800g can diced tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 250g green beans, topped, cut into 4cm lengths
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 6 (about 800g) desiree potatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 70g (1 cup) shredded parmesan
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin, mushroom, carrot, zucchini, leek and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the leek softens.
- Add the cumin and chilli and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the tomato and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and beans and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the beans are bright green and tender crisp. Add the coriander and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Divide the vegetable mixture among six 625ml (2½-cup) capacity ovenproof dishes. Top with half the potato, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with half the parmesan. Repeat with the remaining potato and parmesan. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until the potato is tender. Season with salt and serve.