Besan Puda (Savory Pancake) with Spring Onions
Recipe type: Breakfast
Besan Puda is a perfect quick and easy to make item. This with the combination of with Spring Onions which provide the color, the crunch and the subtle flavor is a match made in heaven. Besan (aka Chickpea flour) is known to provide warmth to the body which is perfect for rainy or colder days. The Rice Flour in the recipe gives the Puda a great crispy texture and makes sure the Puda does not get soggy or limp. The Semolina is such a great addition that helps in making it easy to digest. Throw it together and make little Pudas and serve them as cute little appetizers or make bigger ones and have them as a meal. This Savory Pancake is a favorite as a brunch in our homes.
- Besan (Chickpea Flour) – 1 cup
- Sooji (Semolina) – 2 tbsp
- Rice Flour – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – ¼ tsp
- Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Cliantro – 5 sprigs, chopped
- Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
- Green Onions – 3 stalks, chopped
- Baking Soda – ⅛ tsp
- Oil – for pan frying
- In a bowl, mix the following dry ingredients: Besan, Suji, Rice Flour, Turmeric, Salt & Carom Seeds.
- Add in Yogurt and then Water, a little at a time to avaoid forming lumps.
- Mix in Ginger, Cilantro, Green Chillies & Spring Onions.
- Heat a skillet and drizzle some Oil for pan-frying. Allow it to get hot.
- Add Baking Soda just before making the Pudas and mix well.
- Spoon in some batter into the skillet and spread it to thin out the Puda and the spread the Green Onions.
- Allow it to cook for a couple of minutes (till the color changes) and make some indents with a spoon.
- Drizzle a little more Oil on the top and flip the Puda.
- Allow it to cook on the other side as well.
- Remove from the skillet once cooked on both sides.
- Serve hot with Ketchup, Chutneys, Yogurt or Pickles.