Broken Wheat Upma
Recipe type: Breakfast
Broken Wheat Upma is a broken wheat variation of the traditional semolina upma. one cannot ignore the lapsi/broken wheat upma for it's health benefits.
- ¼ cup broken wheat (dalia)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup carrot cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Blanch it in 2 cups of hot water for 4 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the onion and green chilly and saute till the onion turns translucent .
- Add the peas, carrots, broken wheat and salt and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve hot.
You can use any other vegetables of your choice. Bulgur wheat or broken wheat is also called "Cracked Wheat" and is available at any grocer.