chana dal khichdi recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
a simple and flavorful punjabi chana dal khichdi recipe.
- 1 and ¼ cup basmati rice or broken basmati or regular rice
- 1 and ¼ cup chana dal/spilt-skinned bengal gram
- ¼ tsp asafoetida/hing
- a pinch of red chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- first soak the chana dal overnight or for 4-5 hours. also soak the rice for 30-45 minutes or 1 hour. drain the chana dal and keep aside.
- heat oil in the pressure cooker. add the red chili powder, asafoetida and salt.
- stir and fry for a few seconds. add the drained chana dal. stir and add 2 cups water.
- cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- the dal should be cooked and also should be separate.
- you can also cook the dal for 1 whistle and then check. if not cooked than cook for 1 more whistle. remember the dal should not be mushy.
- drain the rice and add the rice to the cooked dal.
- there will be water in the cooker along with the cooked dal, so no need to add extra water.
- stir and again pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistles. the dal would cook further more along with the rice.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- the specialty of this chana dal khichdi are the separate grains of rice and dal and its not mushy nor pasty.
- if the rice is not cooked, then you can add some water and pressure cook again for a whistle.
- serve the chana dal khichdi steaming hot with yogurt or raita