easy vegetable pulao in pressure cooker
Recipe type: easy recipes spl
easy vegetable pulao recipe made in pressure cooker.
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 2.5 to 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium sized potato, chopped
- ½ cup peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cauliflower/gobi florets
- ½ cup chopped carrots or beans
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp oil or ghee
- crushed or ground into paste in a pestle-mortar
- ½ inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili, chopped
- whole garam masala:
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 strand of mace
- 1 medium sized bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- for garnishing:
- 12-15 cashews
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil for frying the onions and cashews
- soak the rice in water for 30 mins.
- meanwhile when the rice is soaking, you can rinse and chop all the veggies.
- for the cauliflower florets, rinse and blanch them in salted water. this step is optional though. drain the rice and keep aside.
- heat oil in a pressure cooker. add all the spices mentioned under garam masala and fry till the oil becomes fragrant. now add the sliced onions and fry till they become golden.
- add the ginger-garlic-chili paste and fry till the raw aroma disappears… for about 30 seconds.
- add the tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots or beans and saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. keep on stirring.
- now add the peas and saute for 2 minutes more on a low flame.
- keep on stirring gently and saute the rice for 2-3 minutes on a low flame, till the oil gets coated well and uniformly on the rice grains. pour water and stir.
- add salt and check the taste of the broth. if the broth tastes bland, then add some more salt.
- cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook the rice on a medium or high flame for 2-3 whistles. i kept for 3 whistles.
- meanwhile when the rice is cooking, prepare the garnishing ingredients.
- heat oil in a small frying pan. first fry the cashews till golden. remove and drain on paper towels.
- now add the onions and fry them till crisp and golden. drain on paper towels.
- when the rice is done, gently fluff the rice. you can add the fried onions and cashews to the rice and gently stir.
- or garnish the rice with the fried onions and cashews and then serve vegetable pulao.
- the vegetable pulao goes well with boondi raita, plain raita or onion-tomato raita. also accompany some onion slices with lemon or a vegetable salad or pickle and papad.