Chatpata Dahiwala Bread
Recipe type: Breakfast
Pieces of bread soaked in tangy yoghurt and sautéed with browned onions. A lip smacking breakfast recipe. It's best to use a "day" old bread for this recipe.
- 5 bread slices, cut into cubes
- ½ cup curds (dahi)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- In a bowl, combine the curds, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt with 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Add the cubes of bread and mix well till the bread is coated with the curd mixture.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onion slices and sauté till they are lightly browned.
- Add the bread mixture and sauté over low heat, stirring occasionally till the bread browns lightly.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.