Chola Dal Dhoklas ( Delicious Diabetic Recipe)
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4 to 16
Dhoklas are a favourite gujarati snack. Dhoklas are usually made with ground and fermented pulses and are steamed. As they are steamed, they are healthier than most other snacks. The addition of spinach and fenugreek enriches this recipe with vitamin a (that aids in healthy vision) and iron (that is responsible for blood formation). These quick and easy to make dhoklas are best enjoyed as a breakfast dish or even for a late afternoon snack. They are quicker to make as instead of fermenting the batter overnight, i have used fruit salt for this purpose. Serve hot, with low calorie green chutney.
- ½ cup chola dal (split cow peas) , soaked overnight
- ½ cup chopped spinach (palak)
- ½ cup chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp fruit salt
- salt to taste
- Other Ingredients
- ½ tsp oil for greasing
- Wash and drain the dal and place it in a blender.
- Add the spinach, fenugreek leaves and green chilli-ginger paste and grind to a paste, adding a little water if required.
- Add the asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Grease a 150 mm. (6") diameter dhokla plate and keep aside.
- Add the fruit salt, sprinkle a little water over and mix gently.
- Pour into the greased thali and steam for 8 to 10 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Serve hot, with low calorie green chutney.