Creamy Spinach Toast
Recipe type: Breakfast
A classic breakfast option to prepare on days when you have half an hour to spare. For those who find bread dry and slow to ingest without oodles of butter or cheese, the creamy and moist spinach filling provides a low-cal alternative. The creamy spinach toast adds up to just 26 calories per piece, while at the same time providing a good spread of nutrients including, calcium and proteins required to rush into the day!
- 8 toasted whole wheat bread slices
- For The Spinach Topping
- 3 cups shredded spinach (palak)
- 1 tbsp low-fat butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- a pinch of soda bi-carb
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in ¾ cup low-fat milk , 99.7 % fat-free
- salt to taste
- Other Ingredients
- 8 tsp grated mozzarella cheese
- tabasco sauce (optional)
- For the spinach topping
- Heat the butter in a non-stick pan, add the onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and soda bi-carb and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the cornflour-milk mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till it is thick in consistency, while stirring continuously.
- Allow it to cool and divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Spread one portion of the prepared topping on each toasted bread, sprinkle 1 tsp of cheese on the top and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes or till crisp.
- Cut each bread slice diagonally into 4 pieces and serve immediately.