Godhuma Ravva Pulihora
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cracked wheat is boiled in water till soft. Whole spices and dals are fried in oil along with peanuts. This is then mixed with the cooked cracked wheat along with lemon juice. Serve cracked wheat pulihora with pickle or small glass of yogurt.
- Cracked Wheat 1 Cup
- Peanuts 2 Tbsps
- Lemon 1
- Green Chiles 4
- Turmeric Powder ⅛ tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Chana Dal ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Wash, remove stems and slice the green chiles.
- Halve the lemon and extract the juice.
- Bring to boil a little more than a cup of water.
- Add salt and cracked wheat.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook covered for around 5 minutes or until the cracked wheat is soft and cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add peanuts.
- Fry till peanuts are almost golden brown.
- Remove peanuts from heat, add all other talimpu ingredients in order in remaining oil.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add sliced green chiles.
- Fry for few seconds, add the peanuts, turmeric powder and remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, fluff up the cooked cracked wheat.
- Stir in lemon juice and the above fried dals and spices.
- Mix thoroughly and adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve cracked wheat pulihora with pickle or small glass of yogurt.
Make sure cracked wheat is cooked well before removing from heat. Suggestions: If cracked wheat/ broken wheat is not cooked well, put it back on heat, sprinkle few tbsps of water and cook covered on low flame till done. Variations: You can also add tamarind extract to the fried dals to replace lemon juice.