Green Peas Poha
Recipe type: Breakfast
Iron-rich poha is an all-time favourite breakfast recipe, especially in maharashtra. In fact, poha can be had any time – packed in a box, a snack on the move, or a tea-time accompaniment. While you might be familiar with the common batata poha, green peas poha is a healthier alternative, with fibre-rich green peas. Vitamin c, present in the lemon juice, aids the absorption of iron from the poha, ensuring that you get the most of the nutrients in it. With the best of both worlds – taste and health – green peas poha is worth giving a try!
- 2 cups thick beaten rice (poha) flakes
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup boiled green peas
- salt to taste
- ¾ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, 2 tbsp of water, salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the beaten rice in a sieve and hold it under running water for a few seconds. Toss well to drain out all excess water.
- Add the washed and drained beaten rice, a little salt, ginger-green chilli paste, remaining ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, sugar, lemon juice and milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well. Serve hot.