Healthy Breakfast Porridge
Recipe type: Breakfast
If you're bored of the regular breakfast dishes, try this new healthy recipe made using jowar. Jowar is a nutritious cereal with plenty of protein, iron and fibre. The curds and vegetables improve its vitamin A and calcium levels. This vegetable porridge accompanied by a fruit is sure to keep you satiated till lunch and prevent you from bingeing on unhealthy mid-morning snacks like biscuits, nuts,chips etc.
- ½ cup jowar (white millet)
- 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the topping
- 2 tbsp chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 2 tsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- For serving
- 1 cup fresh low fat curds (dahi)
- Grind the jowar to a coarse powder in a blender.
- Combined the ground jowar and salt with 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles or till it is cooked.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the vegetables and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked jowar mixture with 1½ cups of water and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Top with the tomato, onion and coriander.
- Serve hot with curds.
If the porridge becomes too thick while serving, adjust its consistency by some adding some water.