Recipe type: Breakfast
kulcha - popular soft leavened north indian flat bread
- 2 and ½ cups maida or all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp yogurt or (3 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp milk) i used cashew curd
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- approx ¾ cup water for kneading - add more if required
- 2 to 2 & ½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt or as required
- 2 and ½ tbsp oil or ghee
- some oil or ghee or butter for frying
- extra flour for dusting
- a few nigella seeds
- mix the maida or all purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- make a well in the center.
- add the curd, oil and water.
- begin to mix the flour with the liquids first and then start to knead.
- make a smooth and soft dough.
- in the same bowl or pan, cover the dough with a wet kitchen napkin and let the dough ferment for 2 hours.
- make small balls of the dough.
- sprinkle some nigella seeds on the ball.
- with the rolling pin flatten the dough and roll each into a small sized kulcha.
- heat a griddle or a tava.
- place the kulcha on the tava.
- cook one side partly till its ¼ cooked.
- flip and cook the other side till its ½ cooked.
- apply ghee or oil on both sides whilst cooking.
- cook the kulcha till it get golden spots and is evenly cooked.
- make all kulchas this way.
- serve the kulcha hot or warm with chana or chole.
- the kulchas can also be stacked in a roti basket and then served warm.