Recipe type: Breakfast
We love to call this the ‘jhatt-patt’ rice. ‘Jhatt-Patt’ means quick! What a fabulous name for this wonderful left-over Masala Rice dish. It is amazing what a little masala (spices) can do to freshen up the leftovers. So finish off the leftovers and get a great dish out of it, what a brilliant idea!
- Cooked Rice (White or Brown) – 3 Cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Peanuts – 3 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – sprig
- Green Chillies – to taste
- Channa Masala – 2 tsp or to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – for garnishing
- In a pan, heat some Oil.
- Once hot, add in some Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add in a pinch of Asafoetida, a little Turmeric Powder and some Peanuts, in that order.
- Allow the Peanuts to cook and turn reddish-gold in color.
- Meanwhile, heat the leftover Rice in the microwave to get it to room temperature.
- Add Spices (Channa Masala, Salt) to the Rice in a bowl and mix well and keep aside.
- Once the Peanuts are cooked, add in Curry Leaves and finely chopped Green Chillies.
- Immediately after that, add in the spiced Rice.
- Toss and mix well and allow the Rice to heat all the way through.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve hot.